Put Your Sweats On First

Many of you know I have a little child that is almost 2. I say little child not to be diminutive, but in reference to God's command to suffer the little children. Sometimes I think he suffers me a lot more than I suffer him. Frankly, Liam is very wise for being almost 2.

Take today for example. I put him in his socks and shoes, because sometimes he likes to run around before he gets dressed. And well, I don't want him to hurt his feet, so on with the socks and shoes.

But then, about 20 minutes later, I need to put his pants on him - sweat pants.

Now for those of you that wouldn't deign to put on sweats, let me break it down for you:

It is almost impossible to put sweats on after you've put your shoes on. It's a real struggle, a pain, and you'd save a lot more time if you'd just put your sweats on BEFORE your shoes.

I'm sure you can see where this leads with my marketing lesson o' the week.

Many times, we have an end result in mind (being fully dressed), but we take a short cut that gives us an immediate result (get your shoes on so you can be mobile). Eventually, though, that "short cut" ends up costing us time, energy, or money (or all of the above) that could have been used more effectively had we just stuck to our original plan.

Are you getting sidetracked? Are you looking at ideas that sound great in the short term - and may even produce immediate results - but in the long term are killing your productivity, effectiveness or long-term relationships?

As a direct sales professional, it's important to do the things you must in order to move your business forward, but it's very easy to get caught up in "creative" ideas that simply slow you down.

Don't reinvent the wheel. If you have a program that's working, stick to it. Look at tweaking it for improvements over time.

Above all, keep the END result in mind to avoid being distracted by what seems like a great idea now.

Have a game plan, a target and a means of making it happen. Then STICK to it. If you're absolutely convinced that you need to make changes, consider those changes in light of the overall goal and end result you have in mind.

Like putting your shoes on first, those short term strategies may work for now, but ultimately, you may have to undo everything you've done, take off your shoes, and put your sweats on first.

My kid gets it. Why don't I sometimes?