Clue #5: If You Love Something, Set it Free

"If you love something, set it free. If it comes back to you, it's yours. If it doesn't, it never was. We do not possess anything in this world, least of all other people. We only imagine that we do. Our friends, our lovers, our spouses, even our children are not ours; they belong only to themselves. Possessive and controlling friendships and relationships can be as harmful as neglect."

A Chinese Proverb, this quote has been in my head in one form or another since childhood. My grandmother cautiously reminded me to let the butterflies be, instead of trying to catch them by their wing on the flower.

Nobody said I was classy. I thought catching bugs was cool.

But Grandma was truly a woman. She was kindhearted and earthy. She didn't think catching bugs was ladylike. She strove to "meet me where I was" though, and used a little psychology on me.

"If you love it, set it free and see if it comes back to you. If it doesn't it wasn't yours."

I lost more butterflies that way. Thanks Grandma!

But the lesson was indellible in my mind. And in the past year, my childhood memories have been replaying - a bit more somberly now than before - and I'm remembering some valuable lessons.

I love learning. I've loved reading and growing and powering up my brain for as long as I can remember. I started reading at an early age, and I really wanted to see my kids grow into loversof learning as well.

Right now, my oldest is NOT big into learning. Although I did catch hm checking out a book of Latin poetry at the library a few weeks ago. He said he wanted to impress a "chick at school" by writing out the latin and the english side by side.

There may be hope for him yet.

I've always wanted to share my passion for learning and knowledge and skill-building. But I NEVER wanted to be a teacher. Our educational systems are assembly lines for cranking out kids that meet the minimum requirements for life. And I say that with all the love I can possibly have, because my mom was a teacher, my aunts are teachers, my cousin is a teacher. My sister even did a stint as a teacher.

And I guess some would say I'm a teacher, too.

But public school teaching in this country is a thankless, tough job. I never had the intestinal fortitude to endure the grief so many in my family willingly did. They gave up a lifetime of working to teach childrn, mold minds and create a different world. I give them all teh props in the world - because I never could have done it.

Instead, I turned my desire to teach into an income-driven business model. I taught voice, piano and clarinet lessons from my mobile studio. I even taught guitar briefly. Then I developed my newsletter, the book, and ultimately the entire construct that is now Home Party Solution.

And along the way, I found myself felling like it wasn't all exactly right. Like I was only doing part of the work God set out for me to do.

I reached a turning point last July.

If I could do anything, if money were no object, if what others said or thought didn't matter, and if I knew I couldn't fail, where was I feeling God pulling me?

I couldn't dodge it. And the process that I went through inspired the build a better customer program. It's truly been a labor of love for me.

I knew I had developed something life changing, but I was so afraid that mine would be the only life it would change. I was scared to share my findings because deep down inside I wondered:

"What if this process only works for me? Then what will I do?"

But January proved to me that this s one of the most amazing and transformative processes I have ever experienced - and it works for others, too. And I've been thrilled with the way it has changed people's businesses and outlooks on life as well.

But I keep hearing Grandma's voice in my head...

Think you've got this one figured out? Post your guess. The first correct answer will win the keys to the kingdom! Every physical product I've ever created. We've had some creative guesses so far, but we're gettng to the wire and NO ONE's gotten it all right yet. There's only a few more clues between now and Sunday night at 7pm eastern.