Settling in: It's back to business

So after a FAB-U-LOUS time in Dallas, I am "Settling in" at home and getting back into the swing of things.

It's funny how when you leave, and get a little R-n-R, you want to think you're coming home to a better place than when you left it.

But the dishes still weren't done, and the house looked like a bomb went off.
*sigh*
I guess there's no surprise there. But still, I had *hoped* for a little of my relaxation to come home with me.

While we were getting tons of new training, along with free products (which is pretty common at any leadership conference), there was some sad news. Apparently, someone jumped from the balcony into the atrium at our hotel. Pretty sad stuff. They went door to door in the hotel that night trying to figure out who the jumper was.

But it got me to thinking (like most things do). That is NOT how I want to go. Not my idea of the way I want to be remembered.

But that's what we do in business every day. We give up. Quit. Throw in the towel and take a proverbial flying leap off the nearest balcony with no regard to the devastation it may leave behind.

Several of our consultants saw the man in his descent. Can you imagine the shock and horror that these women have to live with now? There was no regard for them in his jumping. Why should there be? He didn't know them, and must have figured that there was no one that cared enough to save him to jump.

But I look at my business. The people I work with, and I am re-committed to helping people succeed. But I'm also re-committed to helping my family be the best it can be.

I don't want to be remembered as a splotch on the carpet of life. I don't even want to be on the carpet of life - I want to soar above it. I also want to take people with me for the ride.

Because life is an incredible ride. It has bumps, twists, turns, ups and downs like any good ride. It's NOT for the faint of heart, but you can be under 4 feet tall to enjoy it.

In fact, I find that you almost HAVE to be under 4 feet tall to enjoy it, and that's just sad.

Let's bring back the childhood fun, and silly times. Let's live life instead of subsisting in it.

And we can still hold each other accountable to what matters most like good grown ups do.

While in Dallas, I made a pact with my roommated to achieve some goals before our annual conference in Reno in August (I can't wait! I've never been to Reno!). First, I made the commitment to keep building my business and helping people build theirs. I plan to promote 3 new leaders by conference (4 would be ideal, but I'm trying to be realistic!). I also committed to being in Reno. That sounds like a small committment, but the size doesn't matter, only the level of determination behind the committment. And mine is fierce.

I also learned I'm only a few hundred points away from earning an incentive trip to aruba, which is also exciting. Of course, my husband has plans for the weekend of the trip, so even if I win it, I probably won't go.

But it's not about the winning. Winning is nice, but beating your personal best is better. I'm having THE BEST year I've ever had in Direct Sales, and I'm loving every minute of it. You can't imagine the feeling when you're helping others reach their goals and build their dreams. It's kind of selfish to say it but I love the way I feel when I get to help others. It's just SO gratifying.

So I'm home, getting back into "life" again. Settling into a few comfortable routines - and a few new ones. I'm excited about what 2008 has already presented to me, and I'm even more excited about where I'm headed. My new Home Party Solution program is about to launch, and the feedback has been very positive for the program.

But the kids still need tending to, and the dishes still need to be done, and this year more than ever, I have an optimistic, positive and power-filled outlook on being what I call a "businessmom". I have a tremendous opportunity to love my kids, be there for them, AND build my growing business in a way that I can be proud of.

I'm getting goosebumps just thinking about it... or maybe that's just the cold Michigan weather!